Caregivers of New Jersey was formed in response to the growing number of caregivers within the state. With more than 1.1 million caregivers in the state, Caregivers of New Jersey will work to shed light on the mounting needs of caregivers and increased need for support.
In addition, Caregivers of New Jersey has developed a Support Coordination team which supports many of the 1,850 individuals living in developmental centers who wish to be transitioned into the community. Support Coordination is a consumer driven process where by individuals choose where they would like to live and who they would like to support them.
There are over 1.06 million caregivers in New Jersey alone.
More Caregiving Statistics
- 1 in 8 caregivers will become injured as a direct result of caregiving.
- The prevalence of age-related diseases and conditions will rise sharply and lead to an increased need for care if nothing is done.
- Over the course of a caregiving “career,” family caregivers who provide intense personal care can lose as much as $659,000 in wages, pensions, and Social Security.
- Half of caregivers say their caregiving has resulted in less time for family and friends. 44 percent also report giving up vacations, hobbies and social activities as a result of their caregiving responsibilities.
- Thinking ahead, 66 percent of the population — or more than 138 million Americans — believe they will need to provide care to someone in the future.
- Family caregiving accounts for 80% of the long term care provided in the US at a value of more than $300 billion annually.
- Because of the lack of support services, most caregivers either miss work or are forced to quit their jobs, causing a decrease in productivity which has been estimated to cost US employers around $34 billion per year.
- 2.5 million grandparent-headed families are rasing 3.9 million children. Grandparent caregivers are 60% more likely to be in poverty than grandparents without such responsibilities.
- By 2020, adults requiring assistance with daily living will double, where will the help come from?
- 87% of caregivers do not believe their lives will improve without legislative action
We’re Here to Help
If you would like to learn more about the Support Coordination team and initiatives, please call 732-262-8020 or toll free at 877-265-6360
Caregivers of NJ seeks professionals who can demonstrate creativity, passion, teamwork, self-motivation and commitment to the CNJ’s mission. If you share these values and thrive on making a real impact, this is your time to use your education and your professional experiences to make a difference in the lives of New Jersey residents.
Click here for all opportunities within The Family Resource Network.